Sunday 24 April 2011

Childhood Wellies

I was having a talk with my significant other recently about silly things we used to do as children and it made me think of all the other silly things I used to do as a child. Our conversation only really covered a few things, such as; things we couldn't say properly as a child and things that our parents like to constantly remind us about.

 From what my father constantly tells me about my childhood, I was slightly retarded (which would probably explain my disposition these days). According to him I did some absolutely hilarious things as child, some I can remember and some I suspect he's made up to embarrass me in front of people.  One thing I do remember from being a kid is not being able to speak properly, when I was much younger I couldn't pronounce the letter 'r' which made my name particularly difficult to say. Instead of an 'r' I would also replace it with an 'l', so the word 'rat' more than likely became 'lat' and I wasn't known as 'Rachel', my name was 'Lachel' - while you stop laughing at that, let me tell you that I eventually grew out of it. Which, just so happens to be one of the things that I can't remember from my childhood. Only recently did I find out that to try and get rid of my unusual speech impediment, I was sent to a speech therapist for months on end. I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER THIS!!!

Another thing that I can't remember doing is putting my shoes on the wrong feet. Now I know that all children are bound to go through this phase for a while but that they eventually will grasp the concept of right and left. Apparently I did not. I have vivid memories of my wellie boots as a child, the ones that stick out were bright pink and had a little cartoon on the side. I do remember that I wore these wellies every chance I got. I don't however, remember my parents buying me a pair of wellies with frogs on the sides in the hope that this would teach me which foot the boot went on - the frog goes to the outside of your leg. Apparently, no matter how many time they explained it to me, that the froggies went on the outside, I insisted on putting my wellies on the wrong feet. after learning about this fact, I've come to the conclusion that in my ongoing quest to make the world a quirkier place, I insisted on wearing my wellies on the wrong feet so the frogs could talk to each other. Now, aren't I lovely person? I'm sure it would've been pretty lonely looking at everything flying past your eyes as I trudged along in my wellies. By putting my shoes on the wrong feet, the frogs made friends and enjoyed the world together!

These aren't my wellies. close enough though



No comments:

Post a Comment